June 9, 2017

Two Springs and Second Opinions

Our lovely, fragrant cherry blossoms (as seen through Prisma) before the winds blew them, and Spring, away.

Spring is my favourite season. It's a time for nature's renewal of life when buds form, flowers bloom and the rains wash away the memory of a bitter winter. It's invigorating. Having spent most of the winter in Victoria (minus one month back in Calgary in February for my brother's beautiful Banff wedding), I got to experience two Springs this year. Victoria's Spring began in February while Calgary's seem to have just come and gone. Double the cherry blossoms, double the tulips, double the enjoyment :). 

I am once again overdue in relaying the status of my health. First of all, I feel great! While snowbirding in Victoria, I got stronger, more energetic and... heavier (thanks to my indulgence of glutenous chocolate raspberry French turnovers;). However, February's scan results did not all reflect how I was feeling. The CT scan was stable (awesome!), but we were surprised and saddened by the radiologist's report on my brain MRI. He noted progression, albeit small. Thinking I would need another Gammaknife treatment, we sent the images to Dr. H (my neurosurgeon in Chicago). We were ecstatic to hear that those lesions were actually pseudo progression, caused by late radiation changes and were inconsequential. I've had two more brain MRIs since then and the same thing happens. Radiologist reports more progression, neurosurgeon reports just more radiation changes. I trust my neurosurgeon, because he actually knows me, rather than a random radiologist who I've never met, does not know my history nor bothered to see how I am feeling (no offence to radiologists). Getting the second opinions from Dr. H has saved me so much grief from being taken off an effective treatment too early, from having to undergo unnecessary and potentially harmful or ineffective treatment(s), not to mention the emotional distress that comes with a change in therapy. Can you imagine how differently this would have turned out for me if we had not asked for a Dr. H's opinion?? ... And THAT is why second opinions matter! 

Other than that fiasco, we are keeping an eye on a couple of things which may or may not have any significance. But I am still, indeed, feeling awesome and, mostly, normal so I'll just keep taking advantage of my good health, my good fortune, and the good life. Summer's heat, long days, festivals, fresh fruits, and social gatherings are just around the corner! Wishing you all a happy, safe and memorable summer!