October 30, 2017

Moving On

The pains started in mid July, although I noticed something was different in June. Despite that, I was in the midst of enjoying a fun and active month with family and friends. A long weekend in Montana with friends, a week in Essex County with family, another week in Steinbach with my second family. Thank you for the great memories! When our travels were done, SP and I decided it was time to sell the house and move into a condo. As we packed and prepared for the move, I noticed I was less and less comfortable walking, even just for a few minutes. A huge thank you to everyone who helped us pack, clean, clear, move, take care of Zoey, unpack and assemble! We really couldn't have done it without you. Much love and gratitude to you all for your time and generosity. 

July and September's scans were reassuring. Stable brain MRI and nothing to worry about on CT. None of it explained why my right leg was aching. A rheumatology consult (essentially) ruled out autoimmune causes, although I still have my suspicions. When the aches turned into searing pain and numbness, the oncologist arranged for an urgent spine MRI.  That's where they found it. Progression. There are lesions growing on the epidura of my lower spinal cord. It was compressing my nerves, which corresponds to the areas of pain and numbness. No matter how many times I experience this or know it is to be expected, finding out that I've progressed on another line of treatment is always devastating.  Maybe more so now because I was mostly healthy for a long stretch of time, to the point where I almost forgot what I was living with. It was good while it lasted.

I was immediately started on steroids to reduce inflammation around the spinal cord, and reduce the pains associated. I am currently undergoing radiation to my lower spine, in hopes of stopping the progression, and prevent further nerve damage, maybe even recover nerve function. Eight low dose radiation treatments altogether. I've undergone 5/8. Side effects this time around, extreme fatigue and nausea.  Of course, I stay on Tagrisso because it continues to work on my brain and the rest of my body. Let's hope radiation works so I can continue on the status quo, for now. Thanks in advance for any positive healing vibes, thoughts and prayers coming my way :). 
P.S. Friends and family, if we've forgotten to forward you our new address, please message us.